Sunday, October 19, 2008

Please check your Furnaces First!

We have experienced the most scariest morning! This morning at 6:59 our smoke detectors went off..I got up thinking that the battery had died and opened our bedroom door to a house full of acrid electrical smoke, smoke so thick you could cut it with a knife! I grabbed the kids and loaded them up into our truck and went back to the door and the dogs came running to me, got them loaded into DH's car..confused as there was no flames anywhere..Meanwhile DH was on the phone with 911....the fire dept arrived and went into the house, I stayed outside in the truck with the kids. The fire dept. was here for about an 1 hour searching..still smoke but no flames...

It turned out that when we had our A/C installed the people did not know what they were doing and wired the A/C to the furnace all wrong and the furnace blower was not kicking on so we have a melted mess and no heat! If it had not been for the smoke detector going off..We would have had a major fire and possibly more!

I have opened all the windows even though it's only 60 degrees today and have sprayed Frebreeze everywhere!! The smell will not dissapear!

We are going out to eat because I have a huge headache and we have plans of calling around tomorrow to see what can be done if anything..Might have to contact a lawyer about that A/C Company doing such a poor job!

We are all okay just very shook up, We will see if the kids can sleep tonight.

10 comments:

Terry said...

That is so scary Heather! I'm so glad the fire detectors went off, and you all are okay.
Did you have a furnace guy fix it, so you have heat tonight?
We have ours serviced every Sept., and we were told that the furnace needs replaced. He hopes it lasts the winter. Keep your fingers crossed for us that it will.
Terry

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh how scary! I am so glad you are OK. There are companies that clean up the smoke smell because otherwise it lngers in fabric and carpet for weeks. Good luck with the repairs!

simple~needs said...

thats awful!! please let us know how you are doing.
hugs, kim

Anonymous said...

SO GLAD EVERYONE IS OK, MY WORD THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO SCARY. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL GET THE SMELL OUT SOON.
TAMMY SMITH
primjunkbug@yahoo.com

Wolfie said...

OMG!! I am so glad the smoke detector went off and that everyone is okay.

I hope that you can get the issue resolved without alot of go-round.

(((HUGS)))

WOLFIE

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Thank God You all are alright! what a scary way to wake up!! You might have to have your home professionally cleaned to get rid of that awful smell, good luck with the company. Take care ~Wendy

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

OMGosh! Heather, I am so thankful that y'all are alright! Thank God for this warning before a real fire happened!
I hope something can be done about the ones who wired it wrong and caused this mess!
Thinking of y'all.

Juanita said...

Heather,
I am so glad everyone was alright.I too am glad the fire detectors went off.I have heard that there are companies that clean up the smoke.I hope your days get better.
Juanita

Leslie said...

Oh, my! How very scary. Those people should not be doing work that they know nothing about!

I do remember something kind of similar happening years ago at my Dad's ex-gf's. I went up to the house from her mom's, two doors down and walked in the house and heard the smoke alarm. The room had smoke in it but not really bad. I ran around checking everything and saw no fire and then called my Dad. The furnace wasn't working for whatever reason. I know mine acts up from time to time...usually because the nozzle gets clogged. My Dad finally taught Jer how to replace one so we don't have to call him at like 3am.

I hope you get everything fixed and FAST. You definitely deserve a new furnace and proper work!

Catty Wampus said...

Glad you and your family are ok; it is very scary that we have to rely on folks to install and repair our homes and then some of them do things like this! I hope you can recover some money for your damages! Here;s hoping the rest of the year is uneventful and you and your family can relax and find some peace in your home. Merrie