Friday, March 2, 2012

Beauty for Ashes~ Book Review

So let's start of the first post of the Month with a Book review, I haven't done one in such a long time..Busy and I'm loving my new Kindle Touch but when I saw this one on BookSneeze I had to read it..nothing like an actual book smell again!




She’s a beautiful young widow. He’s a Southern gentleman with a thirst for adventure. Both need a place to call home.
After losing her husband in the Civil War, Carrie Daly is scared she will never have the family she longs for. Eligible bachelors are scarce in Hickory Ridge, Tennessee, but Carrie Daly has found love. Not the weak-in-the-knees kind, but something practical. Still, she isn't quite ready to set a wedding date with Nate Chastain.
Griff Rutledge is a former member of Charleston society, but has been estranged from his family for years. He’s determined to remain unattached, never settling in one place for too long. But when asked to train a Thoroughbred for an upcoming race in Hickory Ridge, he decides to stay awhile.
Despite objections from the townsfolk, and her fear that true happiness has eluded her, Carrie is drawn to Griff's kindness and charm. It will take a leap of faith for them to open their hearts and claim God's promise to trade beauty for ashes.

   I really enjoyed getting lost in the setting of this book, It was predictable in my opinion but easy to follow the storyline and I started to feel sorry for Carrie although at times I wanted to tell her to "Suck it Up" and deal with what life has thrown at her and look for the small Blessings in life...but that's just me. The closing was cleanly added up and ended sweetly, I liked it!
This book was given to me to read and review by BookSneeze, all opinions are my own.

2 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh I think I would love this book, I want to be entertained, but lost at the same time and I like predictable! I am your newest follower, I love to follow local bloggers! The Central Florida bloggers have gotten together a couple of times, it is really fun, if we get together again I will put it on my blog. I am going to be a first time vendor at the Fancy Flea in Lakeland April 28th. I will talk about it more on my blog, a lot of bloggers will be there if you are interested. Nice to meet you

Carol

ShabbyESP said...

Hello
I came over from The Polka Dot Closet to say hello.
I am also a Central Floridian in fact I too live in Lake Nona!!!
Hopefully as Carol has mentioned we can have a get together someday soon!!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!
Suzann ~xoxo~