Thursday, February 4, 2010

Plain Pursuit - A Review

When Carley Marek takes a hiatus from her job, she leaves Texas and visits her friend Lillian in Amish country, Pennsylvania. Carley isn’t there long when she meets Lillian’s charming—but shunned—brother-in-law, Dr. Noah Stoltzfus.
When Lillian's stepson is stricken with a life-threatening disease, Noah is forbidden to intervene, but he resolves to do whatever it takes to save the boy's life. Carley finds herself caught in the middle of her feelings for Noah and her loyalty to Lillian. And to further complicate matters, everyone around her is talking about God--a God she doesn’t know and who appears to be punishing her for her past mistakes.
When her hiatus is up, Carley must make a life-changing decision: stay and face the path that is set before her, or flee and leave the only love she’s ever known.

Book provided by Thomas Nelson Publishing.

 
I eagerly waited to receive this book and opened it up the night I received it. I love to get lost in a life of an Amish family and this took me to the farm of the Stoltzfus Family. It was easy to understand how Carley would get confused at many of the Amish ways, the most confusing would be the "Shunning". I too do not understand this practice, If the Amish are a very forgiving people then shouldn't they forgive the person and leave it up to God to make them see their mistakes?  I loved how outspoken Carley was in this book and she made her opinions known and ask many a question, even though the Amish do not do this. She is a strong character and I do like her, many of the Amish books I read about have English people in them but seem meek to me. When David gets sick I was scared for him...A disease that requires a Hospital stay and surgery for any 13 year old is scary but for it to be an Amish is worse. The outcome is surprising! Carley is holding in a huge secret that she is afraid to share, now I find this with most books..just say it people!! Talking things out is so much better for everyone in the long run, Right? Her love interest Dr. Noah has a surprising connection to the Stolzfus Family, which starts out being terribly problematic but in the end works itself out in a nice tidy way. The ending is sweet and full of warmth. I do recommend this book for light reading. I hope I haven't given too many details away, read it for yourself.

1 comment:

Hooks, Pins and Needles said...

so funny i found this posting..i just started reading this book..and so far it's very good..i read the first book in the series also..(cant remembe the name lol)..