Friday, March 6, 2009

Book Worm Friday


In Multiple Blessings, Kate Gosselin shares the gripping details of her rollercoaster ride of emotional highs and lows when she discovered she and her husband, Jon, would be expecting sextuplets while still basking in the light of their twin girls' toddlerhood. Strongly encouraged to consider selective reduction for the sake of both mother and babies, she and Jon instead decided to accept the extreme challenge God had handed them. After suffering the long and winding road of infertility, the young couple felt stressed but blessed as they fought valiantly to help their babies survive the fight for their lives. Kate reveals excerpts from her private journal as she describes the daily struggle to carry the babies for thirty weeks. In addition to their uphill medical battle, the family suffered many emotional setbacks such as the loss of Jon's job, forcing the pair to look to God as their sole provider and sustainer of life.

After the miraculous birth, the couple coped with months of neonatal intensive care for their newborns as well as Kate's physical recovery from such complete and prolonged bed rest. Later as the entire family of ten finally arrived home reeling with exhaustion, they still managed to feed, bathe, clothe, and monitor the health of their fragile infants as a steady parade of necessary and helpful volunteers turned their home and family life into a public arena.

The young family lived moment to moment at first, not knowing what each new day would bring and how they would survive on such depleted sleep, money, and emotional reserves. However, as the months progressed, they grew into the next stage of development, proudly letting go of yesterday and looking forward to a brighter and ever-changing tomorrow. Their small home was soon filled to capacity with six cribs, six bouncy seats, several changing tables, never-ending piles of laundry, tubs of colorful toys, stacks of diapers, cartons of formula, rows and rows of bottles, bibs and pacifiers, two triplet strollers, six car seats, and so on. Yes, life was hectic and cramped, but with each major milestone Jon and Kate rejoiced at the miracles that unfolded around them. The crew of six growing babies along with their proud big sisters, Madelyn and Cara, did their part to fill those rooms with squawking, squealing, laughing, and of course, a healthy dose of crying. Kate and Jon eventually came out of the fog of the first precarious two years feeling eternally grateful for the love and support of family, friends, community, and indeed a nation. More important, they felt the ever present hand of a faithful God upholding them and giving them just enough strength and courage to take one day at a time.
From Amazon.com

I have finished this book and will be adding it to my Bookshelf blog later on today, if your interested before I get it listed please e-mail me.

I love watching the show and am just amazed at how she does it, some days I struggle and I have only 3! Some things about Kate I really couldn't understand and this book has helped me understand her Faith and family values. I still don't understand why she acts the way she does with her husband John but I do understand that you never know what goes on behind closed doors and when the camera is off. I hope that the show is on for many more years as even my girls love to watch it.

6 comments:

Janene said...

I have watched the show a few times. But the way she treats her husband appals me at times!
She really should show him some respect than she does, especially on national tv! She comes across as a B****! I should read the book and see if my opinion changes.
Thanks for the review!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I really should read the book too Heather, because like you said, I don't think she treats him very well sometimes. I can't imagine living their life, although I do love children!

Have a great weekend!
Tammy

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

I have wanted to buy this book but I am cheap and didn't want to pay that price for it. I think they are incredible parents I watch the show all the time and even the repeats. Maybe I will get it for Mothers Day!

Linda said...

Thank you for stopping by my site today and especially for leaving a comment. Making new blogging friends is always nice!

I don't watch alot of TV...in fact I never do these days but I have watched this show in the past. I really like Jon and Kate and appreciate the values they are placing on their family. They are setting a good example for young families out there to follow.

Take care and hope you are having a great weekend!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hi Heather. My daughter and I watch this all the time and love it. My hubby the ex school principal wishes they had more control! Ha! All those kids, and all the commotion, I love it! Hope you have a wonderful day!
blessings,
Debbie

Twice as Nice said...

Funny I was going to blog about Jon and Kate today but didn't!!! Only my blog would have been a lot different. I started out LOVING the show and told all my friends to watch. My family knew that at 8:00 every Monday I would be watching"my other family".
Have you noticed how the show has changed? Where is Aunt Jodi? I read TLC wanted to pay her for being on and babysitting and Kate told them-No one gets paid but us. How about Kate's good friend that pretty much wrote the book you just read? Don't see her either.
Like has changed for the Gosselin's now that they have money and a big house. I read when she does an appearance no one can ask questions during the 30 minutes and she told one group if they weren't already in line for an autograph not to bother because she didn't have time for everyone. Can't take a pic of the family either but you can buy one for $20.00.
I thought the way she treated Jon was o.k. in the beginning but now she is just rude. He is a gem of a husband. Have you notice that the show is more about her than the kids? Oh and all the free stuff and trips she can get. Sorry to rant I just found your blog and couldn't believe we were thinking alike today...well almost.