Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Whatcha Working On Wed.

Morning All..I have been busy browsing on-line for good books on Saving Money, Reducing Grocery Costs and activities that families can do here at the house and around town..It's getting way to cold to run to the parks. SO far I have found just one book at my library that I'm going to pick up. Please share with me your cost-cutting books if you know of any.

I'm thinking of bringing out Christmas and decorating just to get my mind off of our finances. We haven't told the kids yet about DH being laid off of work but last night was DH's last day and he came home full of stress and worry and was very depressed. He hid in his man cave most of the night sending off resumes. Ladies, what do you do when your guy is very depressed..for whatever the reason..do you try to talk him out of his depression or let him work it out himself? I have tried telling him that it wasn't just him that lost the job/money it was us and we are in this together. The not knowing is the hardest part though. Esp. since the economy is bad..not very many business's are hiring right now.

I am continueing to clip coupons and I have re-discovered the Library, In the past I had just grabbed a book at the store but now I'm writing down the titles and grabbing them from the library.

I'm also thinking about trying my hand at more DIY Crafts..What kind of paint do ya'll use for simple signs..I want to make some for my house.

Well, It's not an exciting week or fun post but this is what I'm working on at the moment..lol..

7 comments:

simple~needs said...

good morning heather, check out some of the blogs that i have on my roll.
there are a few that offer printable coupons and lots of ideas on saving money at the store. i just love them!!!
get on career builders . com for jobs in your state and area. also check monster. com. i really like career builders better though.
can you apply for assistance?
get dh up and moving. it wont do him any good to sit and mope... :)
hang in there, kim

Unknown said...

I think most of all support him. Help him realize (without directly saying it) that you have complete trust and respect for him, and make him feel like he's still a good provider. The trick is to make sure his ego doesn't take more of a hit than it already has, and it's our job as women to make our men feel like they can slay dragons.

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Hi Heather I am so sorry you all are going through this. When we had the recession in the early 90s my hubby lost his job and couldn't find another for a while as no one was hiring, so I know how you feel, try and get hubby to do DIY projects with you or give him his own to do, he needs to stay busy so hes not thinking so much about money, stc. Hopefully it will help him to feel needed, research on line as well for frugal sites for ideas for you and your family. I hope some of this helps you. Take care my friend!~Wendy

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your rough time. There are lots of companies and businesses doing layoffs around where I live too. Scary stuff!

I'll be thinkin of you! Keep us updated!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh bless your heart, Heather. It's so hard to be that place. We've been there.

You know, over the years, I always tried to talk my husband out of his stress during tough times. But I've found that though I need to be positive, he does have to work through it and it often helps to just listen and understand at times. Took me 20 years to learn that!

Its good that you're staying busy and being constructive. Hope everything comes together for you soon.

Have you looked into the Angel Food Ministries in your area? Great food at a low cost. I have a link somewhere on my journal if you're interested.

Blessings,
Lea

Anonymous said...

I have learned that just supporting them makes the biggest difference. That is what my husband always wants me to do is just show him that I love him and support him. My husband usually needs that time alone to think and get everything worked out in his head!

JenW!~ said...

I understand what you are going thru. My Dh is getting laid of after Thanksgiving. For noe though they say it is temporary but you never really can tell.

As for things to do we can always meet and go opver ideas. Still looking forwad to that meeting.